June 20, 2011

Pooping: Old School!

I just toured a historic home. Naturally, I was curious about its toilets. I mean, how did people poop back in the old days? Well, imagine my shock at seeing this!


My Theory: Back before homes were heated properly, toilet seats were too cold. And sewer pipes were so small, they couldn't flush big grumpies.


So you sat on a chair with a wicker seat set OVER the toilet. (This would be warmer than a toilet seat.)


Then you pooped THROUGH the wicker seat (see the stains?), which broke your grumpy up into smaller pieces that the toilet could flush.


Genius, right?


I told my tour guide this theory. He gave me a weird look and said, "The seat is there so people can get dressed comfortably in the bathroom. If they wanted to use the toilet, they'd do this."
Oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No bad words, thanks!